Friday, February 24, 2012

A change of plans

So.. remember how I was all excited about being the Nature director at Bartlett this summer? Well there's been a slight change in plans. A pretty big change actually. I'm not going to Bartlett anymore..
I'm going to Philmont!
     As you may remember from a previous post, I turned in an application a couple months ago. I didn't think too much about because I turned it in pretty late into the season and thought I wouldn't get the job I wanted. And then I got hired as the Nature director and forgot all about Philmont. But, a couple days ago I got a call from the Philmont news and photo center. They offered me the most amazing job as a photographer! I'm getting paid about $3,000 to do my favorite thing in the world: Take pictures! In the beautiful land of New Mexico. I couldn't just let such an awesome opportunity slide, so I called up Graham today, (the director of Bartlett) and explained the situation. He was surprisingly really cool about it and said that if it's what feels right then I should go for it! So that's what I'm doing.
     In case you didn't know, Philmont scout ranch is the largest youth camp in the world. It is located in Cimmaron New Mexico and covers about 214 square miles. It is made up of 34 staff camps and 55 trails camps. It is a pretty big deal and I'm really excited to get to spend my summer there!
                                                Philmont sunrise
                                                 The newspaper I'll be taking pictures for.

     I'm pretty sure I've made the right decision about going but I'm still so nervous!! I've never really been on my own before. I spent 6 summers at Bartlett but I had a bunch of my siblings with me so it wasn't that hard. But now, I'm going to be spending 3 months in this big place where I won't know anyone. It will be quite an adventure. But hey, I need a new adventure. :)
Here's to change!
<3~Rachel




No comments:

Post a Comment