Exactly 5 years ago today, I met my best friend in the whole world! Alex Hahn of course :)
It was the first staff meeting of Camp Bartlett 2007. My friend David Taylor was always talking to me about how great Alex was and how he was "the best scout". He was pretty excited for him to come up to camp. I carpooled to the meeting with David and we stopped to pick up Alex. Out walked this tall, awkward looking redhead. He was such a goof, still is.
I found out I'd be working in Nature that meeting and Alex was as well. I remembered him getting really excited when we were talking about merit badges and he asked if there was a badge where could teach about small furry mammals. I thought, "Great, I'm stuck with this nerd all summer." But we became the best of friends. :) And then fell in love, and basically decided we want to be together forever.. So now I'm waiting for him!
Now 5 years later, it amazes me how much he has grown. He went from being this nerdy little boy scout, to be being Mr. right! I've loved watching him become the amazing man he is today and the past 5 years have been some of the best years of my life.
This is one of the first pictures taken of us on one our many adventures at Bartlett. Look how cute and awkward we are!
This is us now:
Much more attractive.
Anyway, I thought I'd celebrate this day by writing down some of my favorite memories of us! A memory from every year we've known each other.
Year one:
One Friday at camp we ended up alone together in the Nature lodge. Bartlett has a rule against girls and boys being alone together.. so we felt like such rebels. Haha but all we did was initial blue cards, make fun of scout's environmental science papers and joke around about our situation. It was the first time we really just sat and talked to each other so it was pretty memorable. :)
Year two:
One day in September 2008, we were hanging out together after school. We went long boarding together and then he taught me how to ride his rip stick. The house next door to mine was currently vacant so we played around with the rip stick in the drive way and had a good time. Then we sat down under the apple tree that spread out from my yard to the side yard of the house next door. At this point, we both knew we had feelings for each other but had never talked about it openly in person before. (Just through text..:P) Pathetic I know. But we just sat there eating apples and talking about random things. (I ended up breaking one of my brackets on my braces.. Haha.) I finally got up the nerve to talk to him about "us" and we had the sweetest talk about how we felt about each other. :) It was the cute and innocent. We didn't kiss or hold hands or anything but I rested my head on his shoulder and it was the most wonderful feeling in the world at that time.
Year 3:
Alex went to China for 10 days to see the sights and donate eye glasses for his Eagle scout project. I missed him a lot and was super excited to see him! (That doesn't seem long at all now!) I ran up to him and showed him my new short hair and he told me how cute I looked and gave me a big hug :) Then he gave me a beautiful cat's eye jade necklace from China and we spent the rest of the day together.
Ha such an embarrassing picture.. I was stricken with some eye allergies this time and Alex was in desperate need of a hair cut. But we were having fun.
Year 4:
We spent Valentines day at Wolf creek with some of my family. We had the funnest night. We played a bunch of games, ate way too much sugar and laid on one of the beds and sang Weird Al's "Albuqurque" all the way through. (We're geeks) A fun memory!
Year 5: One day this past summer I decided to take Alex on a date to Antelope Island, since I hadn't been there in years. I didn't tell him that's where we were going until he starting seeing signs pointing us there. I snagged some gas, packed our lunches, picked up Alex and off we went! We ate our food by the beach, floated around in the water and enjoyed the breath taking sunset. I got really excited on our way home and kept having to pull over to take more pictures! I saw a flock of seagulls flying over the water and practically started screaming to Alex about how beautiful it was. He wrote our names in the sand while I wasn't looking and we had the best day ever!
It has been such a good five years with some amazing memories. I'm excited to start making more memories with him in about 22 months.
<3~Rachel





No comments:
Post a Comment