Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's been fun Botany.. NOT.

Once upon a time I thought it would be fun to be a Botanist. This came from the mind of a young, naive 18 year old whose only real experience with the subject was teaching Boy scouts about the various plants in the mountains of Idaho. I thought "Plants.. I like this." So my second semester at Weber I took Ethnobotany- which was really cool! We learned about how different groups of people use plants, we even learned how to make baskets :) Still being charmed by the subject, I decided to take another Botany class. But oh how my opinion on the study of plants change.. Oh yes. Half the class was on all the little microscopic things inside of plants and what they are made out of. None of which I have any strong feelings for. My teacher was really passionate about plants but she did a horrible job of making everything understandable. Needless to say I failed the class. I had to take the class again this semester so I made Alex take it with me so I'd have someone to study with and help me do better. Alex hates Botany just as much as I do so our study sessions comprised of us making up silly ways to remember things and laughing about how we're never going to need to know this stuff in the "real world." I mean I highly doubt that some mugger is going to come up and point a gun to your head asking you to define the 3 simple tissues found in plants. Though if Alex ever becomes a mugger, that's what he will do.
After all those dull classes and ridiculous exams, I am happy to say that I have completed all the science classes I need by passing Plant biology with a solid C+ Whoo. Goodbye forever Botany!
<3~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment