Friday, December 16, 2011

He is what he is.


Mission farewells are pretty big deals. Alex had his on Sunday and he did such a good job on his talk! Afterward I wanted a picture of us together on this special day. Unfortunately since there was so much else going on, this is all I got:
He's such a dork. But I love him :)
He leaves in 11 days!! Aaah!! A couple nights ago I kept dreaming that Alex got a letter from the church saying that they decided to send him to Michigan instead and he was leaving on December 22. Right before Christmas! I was very upset but I just kept dreaming about it and each dream was more convincing! I finally woke up for real though and was reassured that Alex is still going to Oklahoma and leaves December 28. He is all ready to go and is as excited as ever :)
So.. what will I do with the next 2 years of my life? Here's a sneak peak:
I've FINALLY decided on a major :) Graphic Design! It will be perfect for me cause I love art, photoshop and designing things. I just need to do all the prerequisites and apply to the BFA program. Fun stuff.
Also, I'm applying to Philmont scout ranch for the summer. I need a new adventure and that's what Philmont is all about! I would love to get a job as a photographer there but I'll be happy with whatever job they give me if I get hired.
My future is looking good and I can't wait to see what's in store for me :)
~Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I tried sending you a message on FB, but that wasn't working. I'm an MG, too, and I saw your post on the page, and just so you know, I'm on your side. I think a lot of girls are missing the point and handling this the wrong way, but like some of those girls said, I'm not them, I don't know their full stories, so I'll just keep quiet about it. Tucker (my elder) and I never talked about specifics of what we would and would not say in letter, but I figured it would be like you guys. No "i love you"s or "i miss you"s. And for the first 6 months, it was just like that. In fact, for my birthday, all I got was a "You're great, and I'm so thankful for your friendship." The longer he was in the mission field though, the more relaxed (but not lazy) he got. He was more comfortable with himself as a missionary, and it's good to know that he's still himself. Now we write an occasional "I love you" and I let him be the first one to write it so it was on his terms. These next two years are about us and our boys growing individually. Even now (almost 8 months out) I still ask him if I need to change anything or do anything differently to make sure I'm not distracting him. A couple months into his mission, he responded telling me he'd learned something about distraction. The gist of it was that if he got distracted, it was because he let himself be distracted, not because of anything I do. Of course, I should still be doing the best I can, but it's ultimately up to the missionary.
    Also, I agree that some of the girls on that page can be pretty crazy. ;) It's nice to take a break from all the drama every once in awhile.
    Just know you're not the only one following really strict rules. :)

    ReplyDelete